Home > Archive: September, 2023

Archive for September, 2023

Currently Enjoying Covid

September 26th, 2023 at 03:19 am

I must have been exposed to Covid on my flight home.  I have been so sick for more than a week.  I still feel very crummy, but somewhat less crummy.  Therefore, I am cautiously optimistic that the worst is behind me.

I am under contract for a house, we are currently negotiating over the items in the inspection report, so the purchase is still up in the air.


In Illinois Now

September 12th, 2023 at 04:20 pm

I am in Illinois now.   Last night, I spent the night at my son's house.

I am not buying that little blue craftsman; it has foundation issues.

I have been seeing houses but haven't found one yet which will work.

I don't think I am going to find a house which I can currently pay cash for which will suit my needs. While a traditional mortgage is currently not an option, a hard money loan is.

You may recall that SB has previously lent money through an investor group for a hard money loan. The same group is willing to lend to me. I can borrow at 7%, with a 2% funding fee, for 2 years. At the end of 2 years, if I wish, I can roll it over for 2 more years with another 2% funding fee. This would allow me to buy a more expensive home right now, without a job.

I am going to explore this idea a bit more and see some more homes.

Under Contract!!

September 4th, 2023 at 11:03 pm

The seller must have come home early, because my realtor called and my offer has been accepted!  I am under contract for this little house:

Text is and Link is

My realtor is scheduling inspections. A major problem will be cause to re-negotiate or cancel. Minor repairs are to be expected and will not scare me off.

What do you think? I like it so much. 

No Longer Employed

September 2nd, 2023 at 08:41 pm

Yesterday was my last day working for El Dorado County.  I'm not certain that it has sunk all the way in yet. 

Since my last entry, I found another cute little ranch and made an offer.  It was listed at 50k; Zillow estimated its value at 47k.  My realtor told me that they were expecting multiple offers and I should make my very best offer if I wanted it.  Well, I was somewhat skeptical.  Was that just a ploy to get me to offer more?  Besides, they can "expect" anything they please, that doesn't mean it will happen.  I know that Zillow is not always accurate, but I was reluctant to offer much over Zillow's estimate.  I offered 52k and my offer was not selected.  I have been waiting for escrow to close so I can look up the sales price.  Yesterday I saw that it had sold for 66k.  So it had not been a ploy at all.  I trust my realtor more now.

I found a little craftsman bungalow for sale.  It is super cute.  It has a lot of nice features.  It is in fairly good condition (not perfect), but it has had some very tasteful updates.  It has a new kitchen and a new bath, plus a newish roof and furnace.  The list price is 55k.  I made an offer for 55k, my realtor sent it off, and then she told me the listing agent says she has one other offer already.  The seller is out of town until Tuesday, will review offers then, so I should make my best offer.  I listened to her more closely this time.  I asked her what she thinks the house is worth.  She pulled comps and sent me her analysis; she thinks it is worth 68k.  I thought about it,  checked today's listings to see what else is listed in that price range, and decided to offer 68k.  This is the pinnacle of what I feel I can pay without a mortgage.  So the seller will take my offer or he won't; I'm not going to offer any higher.

One week from today I fly to St Louis.  My daughter and son-in-law will pick me up there and I will spend a week visiting them and my son and daughter-in-law, plus her grandma.  While I am there, I will either see the craftsman (because I am under contract for it) or a bunch of other houses (because I am still looking).